Mini Meat - Best Start Literacy

 


In Term 1, I attended a Mini Meet at Drury School to find out more about their journey with BSLA. 

BSLA (Better Start Literacy Approach) is based on a structured literacy approach along with oral language, whanau engagement and comprehension. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of structured literacy - mostly because I believe in reading for meaning and enjoyment, not reading for decoding. 

However, I find it really helpful to have a consistent plan that I can follow - and BSLA seems like a thoughtful, systematic approach that covers core learning skills. 

One of the most helpful 'takeaways' for me, was the use of high quality picture books, with multiple readings. Also, substituting some of the English words for Māori kupu... what a great way of including te reo within a familiar context. 

I was impressed to hear about the equitable outcomes it was achieving across the spectrum of learners. 

Recently, I heard Russel Bishop discussing the use of Balanced Literacy and Structured Literacy approaches in schools. He said that it matters little which approach you take. It matters much that you implement the approach properly. 

I wonder if it would be possible to use Best Start for a writing / phonics programme and still continue a scaled back guided reading programme. ... It is an approach, not a programme, so can be adapted. 

I would like to know more about whānau engagement... this is so important to me, but seemed underemphasised. 

Let the learning continue... 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mega Meet - Equity and Success for All

Circle Time - Peer-to-Peer Conversations