Reading Observation with Hilton from SHARP Reading


Picture from GDJ on Pixa Bay: 

Hilton observed me working with the Year 4/5/6 Stage 3 Group, which I am taking every Monday. 

Hilton's feedback to me included: 

- I had a good grasp of the SHARP routine 

- Next, facilitate the students actively participating to a greater degree 

- I was still doing most of the heavy lifting (in terms of the teaching and thinking). 

- The whole class routine needs to be tighter, stopping for behaviour management drags it out

- I was using a lot of 'soft behaviour management strategies' - noticing the kids who were involved, redirecting those off task - but these strategies were not effective.

- Get the group closer together (kids sitting away from the group is the first step to disengagement)

- Stick to the unpacking sentences and a thumps up for feedback 

I was very grateful for Sam and Michelle helping me to manage the group so I was able to get the most out of the session with Hilton. 

I found the feedback very helpful and it reminded me of the importance of students participating - I need to set the expectation of everyone participating. I find this difficult, because asking particular students to move and following through is likely to lead to confrontation and defiance, which I prefer to avoid. 

Developing strategies, systems and a culture where effective learning can take place is a constant challenge and I'm going to keep looking for solutions. 

Let the learning continue... 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mega Meet - Equity and Success for All

Mini Meat - Best Start Literacy

Circle Time - Peer-to-Peer Conversations